Thursday, March 20, 2014

Violet Quiet Book Page

I have recently started working on a quiet book for my daughter. I wanted to create something that would entertain her quietly that we could take to church or in the car for road trips.  I started off by following templates that I found online.  The more I worked on this project, the more I feel in love with felt and wanted to branch out and make pages that were more tailored to her interest.  One of her biggest obsessions in Leapfrog's Violet dog.  Another of her obsessions is any sort of accessories. I thought that she would have fun changing bows and dog collar charms.  It would also help with learning colors as well as learning what colors go well with other colors. I am really proud of my final product and I hope that you like it as much as I do!


  It was the first page that I did completely by myself.  My daughter a
lso loves it as well and she knew immediately that it was a picture of her best pal Violet.  The one thing I will say about making this page is that I found the smaller magnets at the craft store not to be strong enough so I had to invest in the larger ones. This did make the page to be a little heavier than I would have liked but still  not bad. If you wanted to make it lighter, you could use velcro instead. I did have to use a bigger dog bone than what is featured in the pattern because I had to use a bigger magnet than I originally had purchased. For the color names, I just free hand cut them out so I do not have a pattern for them. I have seen already cut out letters at the craft store and I know some people use die cutters to cut out felt shapes.
The bows I made using a 2 1/2 inch bow template and creating simple pinwheels.  They are very easy bows to make and thousands of instructions can be found online.  I hope your little one enjoys their violet page as much as mine has.

The 2 page pattern for this quiet book page can be found here: page 1 and page 2.
For this project I used:
Felt: dk purple for background, Md purple, lt purple, white, md pink, red, orange, yellow, green and blue
Magnets- 26 strong magnets- has to hold even with two layers of felt in between magnets
ribbon-white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pink
hot glue


Around each magnet I sewed corresponding felt before I glued it to the bows. I didn't want any exposed magnets in case she popped it off of the bows and decided to put it into her mouth. We all know how toddlers can be. When placing the magnets you have to be careful what way you face them as well. You do not want your bows to be repelled from the page because the magnets are not facing the right way.


No comments:

Post a Comment