Friday, February 21, 2014

Free Crochet Giraffe Hat Pattern



The first step is to make a basic crochet hat with ear flaps or you may choose for your hat to have no ear flaps at all.  There are a lot of online patterns and directions to make a basic hat in different sizes.  For the braids I took 15 strands for each braid and latch hooked them to the end of the ear flaps and braided them down. 

Horns
(yellow)
Row 1: magic circle with four stitches (leave enough string at the start to attach each horn to the hat)
Row 2: 4 single stitch, connect
Row 3: chain 2 1 double stitch in each sing stitch connect (repeat 3 times)
Switch colors (orange)
Row 4-5: cs 2, 2 ds in each cs, join with a sl st.
Row 6. Ch 2, 1 ds in cs, skip cs, 1 ds in cs, skip cs, repeat, join with sl st and end  while closing hole with another sl st.


EARS
(make 2)
Magic circle with 4 stitches
Row 2: chain two, 1 ds in each cs, join with a  sl st.
Row 3-4 : chain two, two ds in each cs, join with sl st
Row 5-7: 1 ds in each cs, join with sl st.
Row 8-11: 1 ds in next 2 cs, skip cs, 1 ds in next 2 cs, skip 1 cs, repeat join with sl st at end
Finish off and leave enough yarn to sew to hat.

Eyes
Magic circle with six stitches. 
Row 2: chain 2, 2ds into each cs, join with a sl st.

Nose
I forgot to write down the instructions for the nose but what I did made a large circle like you do when you are first making  a hat and then I folded it in half and sl st it close along the seams.  I think made very small black crochet circles for the nostril holes. I’m sure that there is an easier way to make a half circle but that is how I did it and it gave a little depth to the nose area that I like.

Mane
Latch hooked the size and width that you think looks best.  I have seen many giraffe hats online that don’t have a mane at all.  It’s up to you to make this hat the way you want it to be.

For the spots, I just crocheted various size circles and placed them together in a pattern that I liked best. I tried to not make it symmetrical because in real life, they would not be.  That’s what I wanted for my hat. Various different shapes and sizes would really add a more authentic look as well.

  Once I was done making all the elements, I hand sewed them onto the hat.  Once down, I was left with this precious little giraffe hat.  I hope you enjoy making this hat as much as I did.  The one thing I wish was that I could have found a way to make the horns stick up more and not flop down as much.  I guess the way to go about it is find some way to support them up (pipe cleaners perhaps?) or maybe even stuffing them a bit would have helped some.

No comments:

Post a Comment